Tuesday, September 13, 2005

I wonder...

Why would anyone ever wanted to work in advertizing? It's not like you work in a bank, hospital, the army, the entertainment business or the post office, where what you "actually" do is a percieved fact.
I mean, everytime I tell someone that I work in advertizing, they always ask back " what do you do?" Well..., I make advertisement off course. "What kind?" was the most common reply. What follow next is usually a five minute speech done by me about advertizing.
Hell..., even my parents don't really know what I do for a living.
And then there is this fact that everybody hates advertizing, even the one who make them hates it (unless of course its one of your own, in which case narsistic behaviour came in to play). Most people now-a-days would flip the page, go to the bathroom, or change the channel when ever a advertisement comes around. It's just something that nobody needs!!!!! Something that everybody just LOVES to HATE!!!!
But the strangest thing of all..., is that there are people who would actually spend hours toilling, arguing, fighting, shedding tears of blood to make it, like me for an instant. And there are others, thousands others who want to do it...
Well...., before you joint the band, think it over. Please..., for your own sake.

Unless of course..., your live long dream is to make people see/hear/know/feel/like/do what they otherwise wont or even don't want to see/hear/know/feel/like/do, then you are welcome to join.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unless of course..., your live long dream is to make people see/hear/know/feel/like/do what they otherwise wont or even don't want to see/hear/know/feel/like/do, then you are welcome to join.

Depending on your POV, that could be called either psychological manipulation or leadership...

Me, I want to work in advertising in order to get myself into a situation where I 'get paid' to create 'art'.

If I'm allowed to break the above down into digestible chunks, I would define 'art' here as being symbols created aesthetically to convey a certain message (of course it doesn't need repeating that a message is meaningless unless it bears an effect; that's basic Laswell, every Comm-arts student knows that). And I would define 'getting paid' as receiving predictable and sustainable economic compensation in order to maintain a socially healthy living.

Of course one could argue that there are other ways to get into a situation of 'getting paid' to make 'art', than jumping straight in to the bowels of the Neo-Capitalistic Marketing-Communication Money-Machine™...

IMHO, of course :p

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barusan blogwalking trus ketemu sama tulisannya Glenn (Kom '94, kalo nggak salah) judulnya 'Masih Pengen Jadi Anak Kreatif?'

4:22 PM  
Blogger celotehalia said...

I love advertising.
Advertising loves me.


Hahahahah :))

Oh ferdi...mas Glenn Marsalim itu bukan anak Kom. Yang anak Kom itu Glenn Alexander, itu pun seangkatan Yoga :P

7:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooohkay... Sorry My Bad™ :0)

7:53 PM  
Blogger Nicolo D'Albergati D. Ch. said...

Ahh..., now I know what's wrong.

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google