Monday, October 22, 2007

The Comma

Ah, the comma. Finally I can take a break from it all. Even if it was only for but a moment in time, still a break is a break. A welcome intrusion in a long string of letters and words, a moment of peace in the mists of conversation, a white space between the lines. A slight pause, that after a pat in the back softly ask me to move on.
Though a bit hard to notice most of the time, there are times, many in fact, when I crave for that little sign. Though often mistaken for a spot or dirt, still I miss it and I know I need it.
There are others off course, like the dot, or dash, or maybe the apostrophe but none are like the comma.
Take the dot for instance, it always come at the end of a sentence. The last thing you will see on a long string of consonants and vowels, the dot will stop you and then everything must start a new. Most of the time though, the dot couldn’t care less if you do continue or not.
The dash on the other hand, doesn’t care if you are on your dying breath. The dash will always urge you to move on. It totally lacks any compassion and patience as it push your eyes to absorb more and more information, forcing you to swallow all the letters that comes before and after it by the mouthful.
That is why I always prefer the comma compared to any other, and to tell you the truth, I can use one right know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google